Skip to main content

Concordia University Texas Archival Collection: Hirschi Memorial Library

Online archives

Hirschi Founders Library

Student body standing in front of library in 1950

Student body standing in front of library in 1953

Students studying in the reading room of the Hirschi Founders Library

Birkman Chapel and Hirschi Library, 1953

Class of '49 Yearbook

This page from the 1949 class yearbook shows the completed Hirschi Founders Library. The yearbook notes the $75,000 Hirschi donation, the equivalent of $742,000 dollars today. Records of Hirschi's stock sales from F.W. Woolworth & Co., General Electric Company, Montgomery Ward & Co., and National Steel Corporation indicate how he funded his gift to Concordia.

Ask CTX library

CTX Library's picture
CTX Library
Contact:
11400 Concordia University Dr.
Austin, TX 78726
512.313.5050 (Info Desk) 512.981.7550 (Text)
Website / Blog Page

History of the Hirschi Founders Library

The Hirschi Founders Library was built in 1949 at the original Concordia campus in central Austin. Donor John Hirschi, President of the Wichita State Bank, provided $75,000 for its construction. Records for the transfer of Hirschi's stock, including J.C. Penney and F.W. Woolworth, are included in Concordia's archival records at the Portal to Texas History.

Donation Receipts

600 shares of stock for F.W. Woolworth Co. were given to Concordia from John Hirschi on April 13, 1948.

200 shares of stock for General Electric Company were given to Concordia from John Hirschi on April 13, 1948

150 shares of stock for Montgomery Ward & Company, Inc. were given to Concordia from John Hirschi on April 13, 1948.

100 shares of stock for National Steel Corporation were given to Concordia from John Hirschi on April 13, 1948.

Chapel Donation

This is a letter from George Anderson to Reverend George Beto, President of Concordia College, regarding another donation Mr. Hirschi made. This donation was made specifically for erection of the chapel. This donation was also made with stocks. The stock comprised of ten certificates for 100 shares of J.C. Penny Company stock and was donated on July 7th, 1950. The letter states that the donation is for "the erection of the Hirschi Chapel at Concordia College," however, the chapel is actually called the Birkman Chapel.

This guide was created by Kelsey Hjornvik, April 2015

Hirschi Memorial Library Liasion

All materials copyright Concordia University Texas. Written permission to publish or display reproductions of materials held by Concordia University Texas must be secured from Concordia as owner of the physical property. For more information, please contact library@concordia.edu.